Monday, November 12, 2007

Fish Out of Water



Today was the Veteran's Day chapel at school. Needless to say, everything military-related "went against my grain" and I left the Jeremiah chapel feeling more convinced of the importance of peace . . . and more of a loner in the middle of a "God and Country" school. During the last few weeks, several people involved with the University made the statement, "God Bless America." On the contrary, I whole-heartedly agree with the bumper sticker that states, "God Bless the WHOLE World. NO Exceptions." But, should I barely breathe a word of disagreement with that statement, I would be labeled as unpatriotic . . . among more severe descriptions. Whatever makes us think that we are God's favorite? Since when did the Biblical meaning of blessing strictly mean lavish finances? . . . Or at least that is how we seem to define it. What about His other children in the world, who are satisfied with the "meager" (dare I say "meager" according to Christian American standards) blessings of enough food but not extra, a roof but not a 5,000-sq. ft. home, health but not cosmetic vanity. Not only are they satisfied, but they are genuinely joyful. When will we learn the importance of doing things for His glory and His kingdom, instead of seeking an earthly blessing or reward by the means of prosperity?

And while we make statements about the sanctity of life, the precious nature of life, and the importance of protecting life, why do we "kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?" How can we say that life is precious, while in the next breath angrily murmur hateful sentiments towards someone who "wronged" us?

Don't get me wrong; I'm speaking as much to myself as to anyone else . . . actually, I'm merely venting my thought processes from today. I don't understand the entire position of peace. I don't know how to back up my beliefs beyond ignorantly accepting what I've grown up with; I don't understand how to defend my beliefs in the context of Romans 13; I don't know what would happen if America wouldn't have "intervened" in World War II. But, at the same time, have we given peace a chance?

Call me cynical, unpatriotic or ungrateful. I am certainly grateful for the freedom I experience each day, the freedoms that allow us to bring glory to His name. I understand the price American servicemen and women paid for our freedom. But, do we understand the price of orphaned children, disabled bodies, and destruction other nations face when we invade in the name of "justice bringing freedom?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

P.S. Feel free to leave suggestions of books, conversations, knowledge, experiences and the like that could help me to understand the peace position of the Anabaptist faith so that I may develop my "baby beliefs" without blindly accepting what I have been handed. If that makes sense.

4 comments:

Brian Miller said...

Brianna,
Wow, I commend you for having the courage to give voice to your questions regarding the way the context at Cederville understands the relationship between God and country--especially on issues of war. I am proud of your willingness to ask honest questions, to consider how God is calling us to live in the way of Jesus as a counter-community. Keep asking the great questions you are asking.

Here are some resources you might check out:

http://peace.mennolink.org/whypeace.html

As you seek the way Jesus is calling his followers to live in this hurting world, may you be given wisdom and courage to follow.

In Christ,
Brian

Brian Miller said...

Brianna,
Wow, I commend you for having the courage to give voice to your questions regarding the way the context at Cederville understands the relationship between God and country--especially on issues of war. I am proud of your willingness to ask honest questions, to consider how God is calling us to live in the way of Jesus as a counter-community. Keep asking the great questions you are asking.

Here are some resources you might check out:

http://peace.mennolink.org/whypeace.html

As you seek the way Jesus is calling his followers to live in this hurting world, may you be given wisdom and courage to follow.

In Christ,
Brian

Anonymous said...

hey bri, i found this page today and read your first post... and just wanted to say that youre not the only one, youre not a loner. i think a lot about this stuff, especially after veterans day chapel, and its just so strange to me that we are celebratin "freedom" that people have died for, yet its so temporal, earthly, and truly of little value? and then people say "but real freedom is in Christ." thats the truth! which seems to nullify the relevance of american "freedom"? in light of THAT freedom, actual freedom, what is the purpose of the other? and when we look at christians who live under american freedom... what do we see? as a general trend, there is a lot more to be said about christians living in "non free" countries... american christian are generally lukewarm and comfortable. Is american freedom ACTUALLY good for us? I think it is extremely debilitating to the Christian. Suffering and persecution are very necessary in following Jesus, and America has done a great job to eliminate as much of that as possible. It's very harmful to us. Especially not something worth dying for. A nation... This isn't our home. Our home is the Kingdom of God, THAT home is worth defending with our life. Not a silly piece of land/empire/government that worships idols like consumerism and individualism and money in general and pleasure, etc.... anyway, i could go on. my roommate says she also agree with your post. thanks bri!
your first roomie

Karissa said...

amen. (see my facebook message for confirmation that you can have all my books/notes from my class on peace and justice. we actually spent a day discussing romans 13...as well as a lot of other tough spots for Anabaptists.)