Saturday, July 29, 2006

Thankfulness

Often the trials of life bring us to a place of thankfulness, even for things we may deem unimportant. But trials also make us grateful for those things, those people God has blessed us with; that which is abundantly more than we ever asked for.

For me, work often means trying to ignore crude jokes, insulting names, and disgusting conversations. Even though I don't consider myself naive, I often find myself listening with stunned shock to the conversations between coworkers, wondering how someone can live with their mind constantly "in the gutter." The jokes that degrade women and leave them with no sense of self worth continue to show the incredible lack of respect that dominates society.

Although I survive work each day, I often leave with feelings of frustration, amazement, and, yes, even a grateful heart. Sometimes I question why I am thankful for those people who are perverted and crude; however, as soon as I get a glimpse of my life outside of work I quickly realize the tremendous blessings of God.

I reread my journal--the personal collection of my thoughts, fears and questions--to find that simply one year ago I was begging God for just one guy to become a close friend, one that would share his perspective on life issues. Someone who I could talk to as I would one of the girls, but for a guy's perspective. As I continued to question God's ability to grant this one request, little did I know that he was molding a friendship that would not only grow, but also lead to another great friendship.

Today as I look back, I realize the faithfulness of God when I see the two amazing guy friends that I have who are not afraid to share heartfelt perspectives on many of life's issues. I have seen the blessings of respect, integrity and honesty these guys have shown. Sure, they aren't perfect; they're still learning and growing in the Lord. But, along with other friends and family, they have shown me the unmistakable difference when a mindset is rooted in God.

So, to the men in my life who have been an awesome example of respect, honor and compassion, may you find the strength that is needed daily to keep up such an example in this fallen world. Thank you.

And to those who inspire me to thank these wonderful men in my life, to those who provide the stark, sometimes disheartening contrast, I pray that you would turn to the One who can meet your needs and quench your thirst for satisfaction.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

P.S. Although I'm not sure that I made my point exactly as I wished, I hope these words of thankfulness with spur you on to shine like stars in a warped and crooked generation. (Philippians 2:14, 15)

No comments: