Sunday, September 21, 2008

Much Appreciation.

Yesterday I decided to check out Derek Webb's cd "The Ringing Bell" and found that I really liked several of his songs. His music on this cd definitely touches on some controversial topics... mainly peace and justice. I also looked up some reviews of the cd---a lot of which were annoyed that this "great artist in the past" had neglected to continue in that tradition... he's angry and cynical, resorting to and even supporting pacifism.

Gasp. Perhaps that's why I like it.

I also like several of the songs because I appreciated the way Derek explained his thoughts behind these songs and what experiences inspired the songs. Listen to the interview here. (Hopefully the link works.) It's about 40 minutes long, but the interview shows that Derek is not angry---he just believes that a third way (peace) is possible. He also talks about the importance of being peaceful and gracious as you talk about peace vs. violence... otherwise, aren't we just being hypocritical? Agreed.

Check it out.

No comments: