Sunday, October 04, 2009

At this exact moment.

I thought I would write a little bit about my thoughts on singleness at this exact moment in time. I'm not referring to the world's definition of single: that state of freedom that allows to you casually hook up with or engage and disengage with person after person without any commitment. Rather, I'm talking about the definition of single according to the way it applies to many people, old and young, in the church... but yet a label, often undesired, that causes so much frustration and hurt.

Currently, I am immersed in a culture of predominantly 18-23-year-olds and yet the staggering rates of dating relationships and engagements popping up in the strangest of places never ceases to astound me. Yet again today, the phrase "another one bites the dust," as another friend is now "officially" dating. In spite of feeling excited for the friend and her-now-boyfriend, it only adds to, multiplies, and emphasizes my singleness. Had you told me I would be here today, saying these things, writing these things, I would never have believed you. Although I didn't think it guaranteed (I like to think I'm not that naive), I would be a fool to pretend I didn't imagine or wish that I would be happily on my way towards a life-long relationship of marriage-material by my senior year of college.

It's certainly not easy to be in this environment, in the midst of all the relationships (some good, some scary), and be single. I consider it the curse of an environment like this; it's not very forgiving or considerate when it comes to these kinds of things.

Don't be worried; I know, deep in my heart of hearts, that "everything will work out," "God's timing is perfect," "singleness is a blessing," "enjoy this season," etc. etc. etc. Trust me, I believe that this is a blessing and I certainly believe (and hope) that it is a season (for all seasons come to an end at some point). But, it's rather hard to stomach those cliche (even if they are true) statements when the majority, if not all of them, are made by people who are currently dating, engaged, or happily married.

I know I'm young, I know I have so much ahead of me, I know I've got time. I don't remember ever praying for patience, but apparently I asked the Lord for it at some point, because this is certainly one of those times that I am supposed to be working on it. But, I have to be frank and say, goodness, I'm getting tired of this. My heart is ready, and waiting.

And, so, I will wait.

And hope.

No comments: